2/13/2013

FACP: Backgrounds!

This days I am working on the backgorunds for the 2 shots I want to do for this project. At the beginning I was going to do just one (the one from the original concept) but I liked how the Falcon looks on top of the BG image I used for the previous post.


So I am adding som extensions to the original plate and then I'll project everything onto simple geometry to generate a slow camera movement pushing forward as the Falcon gets closer. I am still working on this, getting the buildings looking decent is very tricky to me. But it is a lot of fun!


Ans this one as you can see is still in a very early stage. But I like the few extensions I sketched so far. The idea is exactly the same as the other shot. I will project everything and move the camera forward and the helicopter will fly towards us.
Since the original plate in this shot is covered almost a 50% with water I have only the mid ground and back ground to add more stuff, so I decided to add a very close building on the left, which will eventually disappear as the camera moves forward, but will help me to create more depth. Unfortunately, I guess I'll have to go fully CG with that one.

Still a bunch of work to do and not so much free time, but I think this project can look cool at the end. So let's not stop!


Thanks for coming by!

2 comments:

  1. hey man, that is very nice :)
    i like this falcon thing....i am also working on this kind of project.
    those building are looking really nice......it has very nice texture.....
    how did you manage to take it inside nuke with those textures ? i wish to have a little guide for that.....
    thank you in advance....:)
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Harsh, thanks for your comment.

    It is actually very easy to bring an element with a lot of texture work inside nuke (a texture is basically a 2D image so Nuke can handle it very easily)
    So I just did a simple layout of the CG buildings and rendered those in different render layers. I brought all of that into Photoshop and work the textures there.
    Once I finished that process, I brought all the different layers into Nuke and projected onto cards with a different depth so that I could add my camera move and create a bit of parallax. This is called Camera Projection and it is a very common technique.
    The reason why Nuke can handle it very easily is because I am projecting all of this texture info in a single card, which is very light geometry, plus all the lighting is already baked in the texture so it doesn't need to be calculated on every single frame.
    You can even project this textures onto more complex geometry, and even create a multi Camera Projection set up so that you can have a more complex camera move.

    Thanks for visiting and good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete